Bittersweet (Snoring) Symphony
I love to start a blog with a good bitch but I will be restrained and instead talk about all the good things that have happened in the past week or so. I had a lovely birthday, thanks to a certain Canadian, who surprised me with friends and a lovely dinner. We went to the West Coast Eagles games and the Korrena Curse was finally broken. For some reason, since last year's grand final, whenever I have watched the Eagles, they have lost horribly. They finally won but not without scaring the tripe out of me first.
Then we flew to beautiful Broome, where we saw the Staircase to the Moon, cycled, sun bathed on a glorious beach, rode persnickety camels and sea kayaked, amongst other things. We didn't capsize which was shocking. The last time I kayaked was at Carlingford Lough and I had to be fished out more times than a Japanese whaler pulls out minke whales from bloody sea foam. That was a pretty horrible comparison, I apologise. Anyway, we saw one of the most beautiful sunsets ever and narrowly missed out on seeing a dugong.
We also met some great people, including two very entertaining Aussies. You know you're travelling when you can mark off the list of people that you've met in a day like this:
Germans - 12
Irish - 15
English - infinite and breeding
Canadians - numerous and nasally
Australians - 1. Maybe. More if you watch Neighbours.
So it was nice to meet some locals. They were pretty bonkers and liked to 'sand surf' behind a fast moving 4WD. I also met a lovely Leicester girl called Odette and as she stood a lofty 6 foot tall, I was once again consigned to the position of Asian midget.
Anyway - my bitch. We spent four nights in a 10 person dorm room and this is trying enough as people are coming home and getting up at all kinds of hours. Nothing is less entertaining than a 'Jazzercise' ring tone alarm that persists for ages at 6 in the morning. But what is even less entertaining than that is snorers. Multiple snorers / general anti-social blokes. Odette was unfortunate enough to be caught in the room when one was 'relieving' himself. She had to pretend to sleep for an hour until she was sure she could sneak out. One snorer shouted out 'Oh yeah' in his sleep and it wasn't in a my-sports-team-is-winning-the-European-Cup kind of way. It had a more carnal element. I was on the bunk above.
For all that, hostels are fantastic places, even if you do hear more life stories than a criminal profiler would. I think the whole world and its pet parakeet has sky dived. Unfortunately, it's true that you're only going to meet the survivors.
Then we flew to beautiful Broome, where we saw the Staircase to the Moon, cycled, sun bathed on a glorious beach, rode persnickety camels and sea kayaked, amongst other things. We didn't capsize which was shocking. The last time I kayaked was at Carlingford Lough and I had to be fished out more times than a Japanese whaler pulls out minke whales from bloody sea foam. That was a pretty horrible comparison, I apologise. Anyway, we saw one of the most beautiful sunsets ever and narrowly missed out on seeing a dugong.
We also met some great people, including two very entertaining Aussies. You know you're travelling when you can mark off the list of people that you've met in a day like this:
Germans - 12
Irish - 15
English - infinite and breeding
Canadians - numerous and nasally
Australians - 1. Maybe. More if you watch Neighbours.
So it was nice to meet some locals. They were pretty bonkers and liked to 'sand surf' behind a fast moving 4WD. I also met a lovely Leicester girl called Odette and as she stood a lofty 6 foot tall, I was once again consigned to the position of Asian midget.
Anyway - my bitch. We spent four nights in a 10 person dorm room and this is trying enough as people are coming home and getting up at all kinds of hours. Nothing is less entertaining than a 'Jazzercise' ring tone alarm that persists for ages at 6 in the morning. But what is even less entertaining than that is snorers. Multiple snorers / general anti-social blokes. Odette was unfortunate enough to be caught in the room when one was 'relieving' himself. She had to pretend to sleep for an hour until she was sure she could sneak out. One snorer shouted out 'Oh yeah' in his sleep and it wasn't in a my-sports-team-is-winning-the-European-Cup kind of way. It had a more carnal element. I was on the bunk above.
For all that, hostels are fantastic places, even if you do hear more life stories than a criminal profiler would. I think the whole world and its pet parakeet has sky dived. Unfortunately, it's true that you're only going to meet the survivors.

3 Comments:
He he he....relieving himself!! just home (2pm) from a night out stayed in chez scollay!!!! glad your having fun! miss youuuuuuuuuuuuu! xxx
There's a stairway to the moon!!!? Why didn't I know of this before? Wow. Oh the other stuff sounds cool too :Op Well apart from the afformentioned thing and "oh yeah" lol interesting. I know you wouldn't change it for the world or indeed the stairway to the moon!
What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»
Post a Comment
<< Home