Monday, April 18, 2005

Flashers!

I just heard what is possibly one of the funnier stories that I have ever been fortunate enough to glean about Korea. And yes - it involves flashers. Heck, what funny story doesn't involve flashers? Anyway, apparently these shifty characters hang around girls only schools and joyfully expose themselves only to flee with several irate teachers on their trail. One of the teachers I work with has seen this first hand so it isn't urban myth - there are genuine nutters wearing only trench coats terrorising Korean girls schools who can also, rather coincidentally, run pretty damn fast. They have earned themselves the amusing moniker 'Burberry Men' on account of their interesting taste in coats. It's strange to think of what Burberry evokes here in Korea, and what it means back in Ireland and Britain. In Ireland, Burberry means Blue WKD, baseball hats, thongs with diamante that shows above the waistline, literal interpretations of the Atkins Diet, cheating the welfare system. I think I prefer the Koreans' version.

Also, Korean hiphop clubs have showers in them. Actual showers, which is appropriate considering that the heat inside them is the rough equivalent of blanket-smogged day in Bangkok. I happened upon a hiphop club at the weekend and made the following observations about the Korean hiphop mass-ive:

1)They wear a ridiculous amalgamation of name brands from head to toe.
2)They dance timidly around poles(I saw two girls tentatively touching a pole which was clearly for lap dancing purposes, whilst giggling manically to themselves)
3)They can dance really damned well, especially the men.
4)The music was absolutely horrific.

Twas still an enjoyable experience but you know it's hot in a place when you begin to look longingly at water bottles instead of beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home