Sunday, September 24, 2006

Kookaburra Rescue

On a dramatic Wednesday night of which Rolf Harris would have given an approving moustache stroke, a friend and I discovered a trapped kookaburra. The bird, in a moment of supreme stupidity, had fallen between two fences - one wooden and one wire. It then couldn’t get enough wingspan to escape and was looking pitifully out at us as we stared back in at it. After a failed attempt to cut through the wire with a pair of blunt pliers and a pair of weak girl hands (i.e mine), Ranae, my rescue partner, pulled the fence out of the ground in a super human effort. With a little friendly stick poking, we managed to get the kookaburra to walk under the fence and it glared at us the whole way through before flying off without so much as a thanks. Good deed done for the week!

I am destined for sunny Cairns this Thursday to meet up with the delectable Aoife for lots of tropical shenanigans. I will finally see the legendary Great Barrier Reef and hopefully the Daintree rainforest area. A cyclone apparently wiped out a lot of it. Speaking of cyclonic wipeouts, just before I arrived in Oz, the same cyclone wiped out most of Queenland’s banana crops and as a result, bananas are approximately $16.00 a kilo. Banana fritters have been taken off all menus. And most importantly, if you ever see someone eating a banana, you can count on them being rich. Solid gold back scratcher rich.

I had a lovely day at Bridie Island with my friends Josh and Cherissa and we cavorted happily on the beach. It was made even more hilarious by the fact that Cherissa, a sun-shy Vancouverian, insisted on wearing her pyjamas. On the beach. And they were pink. It was possibly even funnier than Koreans diving into the water fully clothed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bananas are really cheap in Tesco. Just thought I'd let you know. i got a good big bunch for £1 or so. :)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Cyra said...

Banana's are way too expensive here in Au. Can't help the bad weather!

Actually commenting because I have been searching for a way to contact you for years and I finally found you! I don't know if you would remember me though, I went to school with you but I lost your address so I couldn't write to you anymore, and today I happened to stumble over your blog, there is not enough words to describe my emotions right now!

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home