Unshocking, Indeed
I never normally clog these pages with any kind of political comment or opinion, predominantly because I wouldn't be fit to and also because I know that all who read this are hoping for my humiliation in print, which is the second best thing to hearing it in person. But I feel like breaking that rule for a paragraph or so, just for today. The humiliation shall come next.
I am relatively unsurprised by the London bombings, and the precise targeting of London's busiest infrastructure ports, and their almost comical timing (Olympic Games, G8 summit). I am unconvinced that the conclusions the summit will eventually thrash out will herald vast changes, particularly considering the US government's reluctance to concede that global warming is indeed the fault of humanity. God bless and protect the SUV. Still, world changing events aside, it was strange to see Monopoly board names targeted by terrorists. Those who own all four train stations may indeed have to forfeit their 200 pound rent. It's a genuine miracle that more people weren't killed.
Other than that, there is little to report other than envy. I have a big shout out for all who are travelling at the moment, or are on the cusp of such adventures - Kevin, floating on some gorgeous Californian lake, Mark getting surfing lessons on Bondi Beach (and, with any luck, not attracting any curious sharks, who may not respond in kind to his biting sarcasm and rampant camp-itude). Conor, shackled by wounds whose infliction details have not been disclosed to me, who will be deserting Irish shores for viruses, countries that will allow his to practise both his French and his detailed knowledge of the cormorant in Renaissance writing. To Aoife and Lorraine, who will be gracing me with their bonkers presence in a few short weeks. To my brother Kym who will be celebrating his 21st birthday soon and I would it assume it will be in true poteen-ed style. To David, whose dreams of a party city may have been dampened a little with yesterday's events. I will still be taking advantage of 'flights for a tenner', please be assured of this. I am pretty much in awe of all that has happened in the short eight months I have been absent from the country. And now I am technically on the home run, I am really starting to look forward to coming home.
Tae-kwon do is still hurtling forward, with a casualty per night. My hamstring is bollocksed - does anyone have any kind of cure? And Thailand looms on the horizon and I hope that the Canuck and I can amalgamate to the point of civility for the trip...
I am relatively unsurprised by the London bombings, and the precise targeting of London's busiest infrastructure ports, and their almost comical timing (Olympic Games, G8 summit). I am unconvinced that the conclusions the summit will eventually thrash out will herald vast changes, particularly considering the US government's reluctance to concede that global warming is indeed the fault of humanity. God bless and protect the SUV. Still, world changing events aside, it was strange to see Monopoly board names targeted by terrorists. Those who own all four train stations may indeed have to forfeit their 200 pound rent. It's a genuine miracle that more people weren't killed.
Other than that, there is little to report other than envy. I have a big shout out for all who are travelling at the moment, or are on the cusp of such adventures - Kevin, floating on some gorgeous Californian lake, Mark getting surfing lessons on Bondi Beach (and, with any luck, not attracting any curious sharks, who may not respond in kind to his biting sarcasm and rampant camp-itude). Conor, shackled by wounds whose infliction details have not been disclosed to me, who will be deserting Irish shores for viruses, countries that will allow his to practise both his French and his detailed knowledge of the cormorant in Renaissance writing. To Aoife and Lorraine, who will be gracing me with their bonkers presence in a few short weeks. To my brother Kym who will be celebrating his 21st birthday soon and I would it assume it will be in true poteen-ed style. To David, whose dreams of a party city may have been dampened a little with yesterday's events. I will still be taking advantage of 'flights for a tenner', please be assured of this. I am pretty much in awe of all that has happened in the short eight months I have been absent from the country. And now I am technically on the home run, I am really starting to look forward to coming home.
Tae-kwon do is still hurtling forward, with a casualty per night. My hamstring is bollocksed - does anyone have any kind of cure? And Thailand looms on the horizon and I hope that the Canuck and I can amalgamate to the point of civility for the trip...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home