Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Always Be Casso-Wary

Alright there!

First of all, this is a big shout out to Ceri. It was so good to hear from a fellow ex Flinders Park-er and it was totally unexpected (always the best kind of surprise...actually, the only kind of surprise. Cleverness - my strong point.)

I have just returned from a fantastic trip to Cairns where I met up with the Bole for four days of reef, rainforest and random encounters with nature. We also learned about many killer creatures including, best of all, the cassowary. Apparently, the cassowary is a deadly bird capable of gutting you if it feels threatened. So, all around Cape Tribulation and the rainforest there are friendly warning signs such as Be Casso-Wary, coupled with a threatening picture of said bird glowering at the camera. Hilarious, if terrifying. I can think of better ways to go that don't include a large, horned bird slashing me open with it's flawlessly designed claws.

I got to dive on the Great Barrier Reef, which was amazing. Aoife and I snorkelled together and she discovered, with her sixth zoologist sense, a beautiful green turtle idling around the coral so we just swam and watched it for ages. It was magic. I also met a cool dive assistant from Bolton so I entertained myself by making him say classic Peter Kay-isms such as 'Cheese cake?' and 'Garlic bread?'. It was all dandy until he got fed up with me and pushed me off the end off the boat.

We visited Cape Tribulation, went canoeing, painted each other with ochre rock, went on a boat trip down the Daintree River - combine this with drinking and you have a very messy picture. I am still in the process of recovering.

So, it's back to work and unfortunately, reality. I mean, who dictated that reality is work? Why couldn't reality be riding on the back of a gargoyle whilst eating hole-less doughnuts? There was a flaw in the grand plan of creation - a definite flaw.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah all this talk of deadly animals reminds me of a tale a certain Marble Arch Cave guide tells about the deadly "drop bears" that are native to the cave system. They, he informs me, carry away unsuspecting school kids and other tourist types and devour them.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Korrena said...

I love drop bears! You can just be out with your friends, chilling in an unsuspecting manner beneath some innocuous looking trees and boom! the drop bear attacks! A close friend of mine lost his elbow in a deadly drop bear attack. May this be a warning to you all.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home