A Chilean Christmas
And I think that it most likely won't be a White one.
Aoife, Mike and I are off to Chile tomorrow afternoon (we land 5 hours after we depart Auckland - spooky!) and it's a suitably terrifying/exciting prospect. We all refuse to think about what's beyond the free alcohol on the plane ride. And what movies they will be showing. And whether we get peanuts. Corralling the brain into tight, non-negotiable corners is the best way of dealing with the unknown.
Well, to update you fully with all that we have done since Christchurch would be an abomination. Highlights included a seal swim in Kaikoura, the Te Papa museum in Wellington (I got all teared up when a brass band played Silent Night), the Napier Prison Backpackers...
Actually, that one deserves a little elaboration. In Napier, we stayed in a converted prison which had been fully operational up until 1984. Our room was formerly the Psych Ward and there is still writing from former inmates on the beds. The jail was rustic, damnably creepy and the 'Hanging Yard' is now for hanging clothes (snigger snigger) as opposed to irredeemable scoundrels. Best of all, however, was the night tour. All inmates (sorry, guests) got to dress up and hide throughout the prison and terrify an unsuspecting tour group. The sign proclaimed the prison 'better than Alcatraz' - I will nod in agreement wholeheartedly until I get to see San Francisco for myself.
After Napier, we went to Rotorua, or Rotten-rua, as it is 'affectionately' known as. It is a volcanic, highly unstable area, full of hot springs, mud pools and the distinctive smell of sulphur. Aoife wanted eggs the whole time we were there. We went to a Maori culture night and in true backpacker spirit, tore into the all-you-can-eat buffet with gusto. We also went to a Thermal Wonderland where everything was hot and fluorescent and named for the Devil.
After Rotorua, Mt Maunganui (we climbed the mountain, woo! Ok, it was small, but baby steps people! I am calling on my Korean mountain climbing genes and failing miserably). And now Auckland, city of sails. It's actually getting difficult to remember things now. I am pretty sure that I left my brain behind in Australia, where it was kidnapped by a kangaroo and used in a boxing match.
Aoife, Mike and I are off to Chile tomorrow afternoon (we land 5 hours after we depart Auckland - spooky!) and it's a suitably terrifying/exciting prospect. We all refuse to think about what's beyond the free alcohol on the plane ride. And what movies they will be showing. And whether we get peanuts. Corralling the brain into tight, non-negotiable corners is the best way of dealing with the unknown.
Well, to update you fully with all that we have done since Christchurch would be an abomination. Highlights included a seal swim in Kaikoura, the Te Papa museum in Wellington (I got all teared up when a brass band played Silent Night), the Napier Prison Backpackers...
Actually, that one deserves a little elaboration. In Napier, we stayed in a converted prison which had been fully operational up until 1984. Our room was formerly the Psych Ward and there is still writing from former inmates on the beds. The jail was rustic, damnably creepy and the 'Hanging Yard' is now for hanging clothes (snigger snigger) as opposed to irredeemable scoundrels. Best of all, however, was the night tour. All inmates (sorry, guests) got to dress up and hide throughout the prison and terrify an unsuspecting tour group. The sign proclaimed the prison 'better than Alcatraz' - I will nod in agreement wholeheartedly until I get to see San Francisco for myself.
After Napier, we went to Rotorua, or Rotten-rua, as it is 'affectionately' known as. It is a volcanic, highly unstable area, full of hot springs, mud pools and the distinctive smell of sulphur. Aoife wanted eggs the whole time we were there. We went to a Maori culture night and in true backpacker spirit, tore into the all-you-can-eat buffet with gusto. We also went to a Thermal Wonderland where everything was hot and fluorescent and named for the Devil.
After Rotorua, Mt Maunganui (we climbed the mountain, woo! Ok, it was small, but baby steps people! I am calling on my Korean mountain climbing genes and failing miserably). And now Auckland, city of sails. It's actually getting difficult to remember things now. I am pretty sure that I left my brain behind in Australia, where it was kidnapped by a kangaroo and used in a boxing match.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home