The Best View Is Always From The Toilet
Hello all!
I am back reluctantly in Brisbane after an fantastic weekend's camping at Lamington National Park and Springbrook National Park (approximately on the border of Queensland and New South Wales) with the Munro Monster, four Swiss-ettes and two Americans. It was an amazing trip. I went on a flying fox, which basically means that you get strapped into a harness and go flying down a hill through the rainforest on a wire suspended about 10 metres into the air. Fantastic fun apart from the rope burn. We camped under the stars and watched bats fly erratically overhead. We swam in baltic-temperatured water holes. We saw the artistic efforts of a bower bird and heard the terrifying squawk of a cat bird. We also saw copious amounts of pademelons (miniature rainforest kangaroos that are stupendously cute).
Best of all was our campsite. It's difficult to beat marshmallow toasting over a campfire. The view from our three sided, spider infested toilet was simply incredible - you could look out over Lamington National Park and try not to think about what could be considering biting you on the butt (hint - it would probably be poisonous). Fortunately, on our tour, three people were trainee doctors although two of them were petrified of spiders.
It was the perfect way to spend my final weekend in Queensland. I now work pretty much until I fly to Sydney on the 28th November then onto Christchurch on the 1st December. Needless to say, getting everything ready has been nothing short of nightmarish, particularly considering that I am also scrambling to apply for university next year. I have narrowed the list of countries that I want to study in down to four - now all I have to do is narrow down the courses which is considerably more difficult. Maybe I should return to my original calling as a mushroom picker.
Hilarious Mike update - we were walking down the main shopping street of Brisbane when he said excitedly 'There's a reindeer walking up the street!'
I said, puzzled, 'There's just a random reindeer, walking up the street?'
'Yes!'
Of course, he failed to mention that said reindeer was attached to a sleigh which had Santa Claus in it and a pair of identical twin children, not to mention Mrs Claus walking stoically beside him.
I am back reluctantly in Brisbane after an fantastic weekend's camping at Lamington National Park and Springbrook National Park (approximately on the border of Queensland and New South Wales) with the Munro Monster, four Swiss-ettes and two Americans. It was an amazing trip. I went on a flying fox, which basically means that you get strapped into a harness and go flying down a hill through the rainforest on a wire suspended about 10 metres into the air. Fantastic fun apart from the rope burn. We camped under the stars and watched bats fly erratically overhead. We swam in baltic-temperatured water holes. We saw the artistic efforts of a bower bird and heard the terrifying squawk of a cat bird. We also saw copious amounts of pademelons (miniature rainforest kangaroos that are stupendously cute).
Best of all was our campsite. It's difficult to beat marshmallow toasting over a campfire. The view from our three sided, spider infested toilet was simply incredible - you could look out over Lamington National Park and try not to think about what could be considering biting you on the butt (hint - it would probably be poisonous). Fortunately, on our tour, three people were trainee doctors although two of them were petrified of spiders.
It was the perfect way to spend my final weekend in Queensland. I now work pretty much until I fly to Sydney on the 28th November then onto Christchurch on the 1st December. Needless to say, getting everything ready has been nothing short of nightmarish, particularly considering that I am also scrambling to apply for university next year. I have narrowed the list of countries that I want to study in down to four - now all I have to do is narrow down the courses which is considerably more difficult. Maybe I should return to my original calling as a mushroom picker.
Hilarious Mike update - we were walking down the main shopping street of Brisbane when he said excitedly 'There's a reindeer walking up the street!'
I said, puzzled, 'There's just a random reindeer, walking up the street?'
'Yes!'
Of course, he failed to mention that said reindeer was attached to a sleigh which had Santa Claus in it and a pair of identical twin children, not to mention Mrs Claus walking stoically beside him.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home